Pages

Saturday 13 March 2010

It’s a dirty job but someone’s gotta do it

Last week I went away to visit family and it shocked me how many new relatives I have. Everyone has grown up and many of them had become parents. It just shows how consumed I am in my own world that I didn’t realise how much everyone had changed. Mind you the last time I saw some of them was over 10 years ago. The reason we hardly go is due to our lifestyle and work commitments. We are so used to relying on friends that we hardly keep in touch with our relatives. On top of that it’s a three hour journey too long.



When we got there I absolutely could not get my head round the place. I mean there were hardly any shops and the nearest Starbucks was in town. (And they live in the centre of the city!) It is very different from where I live that I found the place a joke. I honestly could not get used to the idea the shopping mall is not near the house. It was also way too quiet and calm for my liking. I mean the teenagers entertained themselves by walking around aimlessly. Their lifestyle is so different from ours that the culture shock hit me hard. I am used to walking two minutes and hopping on the train and going shopping. The journey ride here is very short. For most of the time spent there I couldn’t get my head round it, it was way too much to handle. In the end I gave up and stayed inside, which to my surprise I actually enjoyed being entertained by kids.



Now the kids, they are the most adorable naughtiest kids that I have ever met. They can be charming when they need something. It makes me laugh as some are as young as two and they have already learnt to play the adults. The house is always full of laughter that you would never suspect the unfortunate circumstances that had brought everyone together. They are very much full of innocence as they cannot comprehend what had happened. The kids are in their own world and were so carried away with playing, shouting; screaming, jumping and of course being hyped on sugar didn’t help matters. It has been a very long time since I have been surrounded by so many children and not had a moment’s peace. In our family we have only one nephew and although he is spoilt (by the grandparents of course) he understands no one will react to his tantrum.



Now at the house as many people had come together and with all the “adults” (adult= means being married according to my family) being hospitable to continuous guests, no one was really keeping an eye on the house or the younger children. I mean it is one thing to babysit the children but they also wanted to play monopoly with the grownups. And there is only so much that I and anyone else can handle.

Being bored and also as a younger sibling I was told to check hazards around the house and sort any mess out. One major hazard was the 500 piles of shoes at the bottom of the stairs, all jumbled up. So much for the shoe rack; naturally that was untouched (*-*). And I certainly wasn’t going to touch other people’s shoes.

Since the kids had nothing better to do, I got creative and told them we are going to play a game. When I told them the game, well let me tell you, they were over the moon!!! Yes, no kidding. Within minutes they tidied up the shoe rack and other hazards and mess around the house. It’s a dirty job and I aint going to do it... obviously.



For their good behaviour I went out and got them lil prezzies. I got each kid a colouring set, some blow-up balloons and sweets. I never realised just how easy it is to please children. Mind you the teenagers ended up nicking the balloons because I made swords out of them and they wanted to join in the fun as well. I guess they are easy to please to! Who would have thought?



Finally the week ended and to my surprise I found I actually enjoyed the last few days. I actually envied that my cousins had no responsibilities (in the sense they didn’t have to work), they were driven everywhere and they had no commitments. Their life was very carefree whereas mine is always hectic and I spend more time travelling than at a single place. No chauffeurs for me I’m afraid (-_-). Everything I need or want, I have to get myself (by working) or do myself. Our lifestyles are completely different simply due to the way we have been brought up.



On the journey back I felt so drained as I realised my schedule will be busy that my R & R will have to be postponed. Although I’m back now and already adjusted to the hectic schedule, once again I find myself still craving the simple life. However I guess one good thing came out of the journey; now I am actually making an effort with my cousins and hopefully it won’t be the turn of the decade when I next see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment